WASCAL Recruitment: West African Science Service Center on Climate Change and Adapted Land Use (WASCAL) Recruitment 2022 invites applications from interested and suitably qualified candidates.
Table of Contents
West African Science Service Center on Climate Change and Adapted Land Use (WASCAL) is a research and education-focused institute designed to provide knowledge and climate services that should help tackle the climate change challenge and thereby enhance the resilience of human and environmental systems. It does so by strengthening the research capacity and infrastructure in West Africa related to climate change by pooling the expertise of ten West African countries and Germany. The West African countries include Benin, Burkina Faso, Cape Verde, Côte d‘Ivoire, The Gambia, Ghana, Mali, Niger, Nigeria, Senegal, and Togo.
We are recruiting to fill the position below;
Job Title: Regional Thematic Coordinator
The Regional Thematic Coordinator will undertake the following duties among others:
• Project Management and Administration (50%)
• CES Provision (35%)
• Research and Innovation (15%)
Project Management and Administration (50%)
• Wining Proposal development as a response to global climate funds
• Program/Project management and grant management
• Supervise and coordinate the provision of support services to project managers and deliver relevant scientific inputs as needed
• Identify national and regional problems in the Land Use land Cover/land degradation nexus to climate change and develop winning proposals to Funding Entities.
• Work through his network to attract National, Regional and International partners to WASCAL.
• Establish documentation for project commitments (i.e. agreements, contracts, etc.)
• Provide active guidance to project coordinators and partner institutions regarding research plans sampling strategies, training, fieldwork programming, and measurement methods, and other methodologies for reaching expected outcomes
• Monitor and evaluate program/project performance against contract requirements, keep track of deliverables, and other performance goals, and participate in the analysis and reporting for impact assessment
• Work with consortia leaders, elaborate outlook budgets for the program and proposals to donors and contractors, coordinate and schedule meetings and workshop among team members, and plan and coordinates regular advisory board and steering committee meetings
• Lead the drafting and the submission of grant proposals and coordinate recruitment and manage the integration of new staff members as needed
• Act as the primary administrative point of contact for internal research staff and as the principal operational liaison for other research organizations, funding agencies, and regulating bodies
CES Provision (35%)
• Synthesize output from programs and or projects and identify salient results for climate and environmental development
• Lead the development and delivery of climate and environmental information relevant to WASCAL member countries’ sectors and communities as well as regional political bodies
• Identify, develop and implement ways of improving access to, and use of CES for sectors, communities, and regional political bodies
• Develop tools, approaches, and products for effective delivery of CES and integration to day-to-day activities with support from the data management department
• Establish training guidelines on technical aspects of CES, organize stakeholder engagement workshops and prepare communication materials for dissemination
• Provide scientific analysis and interpretation to support the timely delivery of the results and output
• Contribute to knowledge products (reports, briefs, data products, scientific publications)
• Carry out research, when relevant (e.g. in the framework of a project), and deliver science that can be used in practice by the West African adaptation community
• Assist with reviews of knowledge products written by other RTCs
• Show scholarly evidence through publication in high-impact factor journals.
Desired Skills and Experience
• Ph.D. in Meteorology and climate science, remote sensing, Geography, environmental or agriculture science, and Forestry.
• At least five years post qualification experience
• Good understanding of the role of geospatial sciences in development at various scale
• Experienced in Modelling and simulations using various models suitable for West Africa
• Demonstrated expertise in developing practical remote sensing applications, decision support tools in agriculture, and in the use of High-performance Computer (HPC)
• High Decree of initiative and self-motivation
• Good track record in resource mobilization and research proposal development
• Ability to lead and mentor a group of researchers
• Ability to supervise students’ research
• Experience in developing training materials and organizing/conducting training
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, experience in working and interacting effectively with a variety of stakeholders, and demonstrated ability to collaborate well across disciplines and with key collaborative institutions and agencies
• Working knowledge of main remote sensing and GIS tools software
• Research experience in interdisciplinary working environments
• Strong publication and record in peer-reviewed journals
• Fluent in spoken and written English and French
• Excellent organizational and time management skills
• Ability to generate new ideas and implement them
• Ability to work as part of a dynamic and multicultural team
• Work experience in West-African countries and willingness to travel is an advantage
- Wayoe Engineering Recruitment
- Cervus Limited Recruitment
- Dangote Industries Limited Recruitment
- Lively Minds Recruitment
- VisionFund Ghana Recruitment
How to Apply
Applications include a covering letter (no more than two pages), a statement of motivation highlighting the candidate’s experience against the criteria listed above (desired skills and experience), and a curriculum vitae including a list of publications, with names addresses, and e-mail addresses of three referees (2 professionals and 1 academic) should be emailed to:
email@example.com. Please indicate “WASCAL Priority Research Theme 1” in the subject line.
The successful candidate will be appointed for an initial period of three (3) years.
If you have any questions concerning WASCAL Recruitment, please feel free to use the comment box below and ask us your question. We will be very pleased to answer you.
You can share this information, with your family and friends, as it will be helpful to someone. Please share it on Twitter, Facebook, G+, Whatsapp or Email it to friends. Use the buttons below to do this.